Facilities Operations

A Department in Facilities

How and What to Recycle

  • White and Pastel Colored Paper (No Neon!)
  • Envelopes
  • Letterheads
  • Copies/Print-outs
  • Stamps
  • Envelopes with Windows
  • Manila Envelopes
  • Post it Notes
  • Glass Containers: all colors, including lids and tops
  • Aluminum: Soda cans only (no foil or take out containers)
  • Paper: Magazines, Newspaper, Paper-back books, empty paper cups
  • Plastics: #1-#7; bottles with caps on, yogurt containers, utensils, lids
  • Steel: Clean tin cans and empty aerosol cans
  • Cardboard: (please breakdown boxes) pizza boxes
  • Chipboard: cereal boxes, beverage container boxes
  • Batteries
  • Ink Toner Cartridges
  • CDs/Floppy Discs
  • Electronics
  • Cell Phones
  • Books
    Soft-backed: Toss ’em in the commingled bin.
  • Hard-backed: Call us for pickup!
  • Rigid Plastics
    The city of Greensboro now accepts several types of rigid plastics for recycling. Small items can be placed in commingled bins; call the OWRR for pickup of large items.
  • Styrofoam
  • Napkins and Paper Towels
  • Plastic Wrap and Bags
    – These can be taken to your nearest grocery store drop site for recycling.
  • Hard-backed Books
    – These cannot go in commingled, but we do accept them for reuse. We work with Better World Books to redistribute used hard-backed books; call us for a pickup or for more info.

Send alternative recycling items thru campus mail. For pick-ups call Ben Kunka at (336) 334-5192.

Alternative recycling bins can be found in your building’s CRL office.

Participate in Guilford County’s HHW Program or schedule a pickup by calling (336) 334-5192.